The Artistic Splendor of Palenque
Among the great ancient cities of the Maya, Palenque easily ranks at or near the top as one of the most beautiful. Located in Southern Mexico in the state of Chiapas, it represents the pinnacle of Classic Maya art and architecture, not so much for its grandeur as for its pure artistic splendor. Although much work has already been done to reveal the history and material remains of the site, the ongoing work of the current archaeological investigations under the "Group of the Cross Project" continues to make new discoveries. Some of the past discoveries and accomplishments include:
1. Restoration of a richly illustrated stucco panel from Temple XIX.
2. The west side of the Temple XIX Platform,containing figures and hieroglyphics in fine relief.
3. A limestone tablet from Temple XIX depicting Palenque ruler K'inich Ahkal Mo' Nahb' III.
4. A frescoed tomb discovered under Temple XX.
If you are interested in more information about the work of the project, go to the website.
If you are interested in archaeological tours that include Palenque, here are some excellent sources:
1. Far Horizons
4. Geckos Grassroots Adventures